Search This Blog

Friday, May 19, 2017

Wisconsin Forest Plants

I went walking through the woods back a ways behind my home in rural north central Wisconsin a few weeks back.  I was originally out looking for wild leeks.  Unfortunately, I didn't come across any wild leeks because I was in an area that was too wet.  As I walked back in the woods, I found tons of beautiful yellow flowers and what looked to be some sort of lettuce.  I had no idea what they were.  I looked online and couldn't find any information.  So I asked someone who previously worked in forestry who knew exactly what they were.

The first plant is called a Marsh Marigold.  I wish the picture below came out better, but as I looked out into the woods, all I saw were these yellow flowers growing everywhere.  It was so pretty.




The other plant looked like some sort of lettuce with its big broad leaves. The unusual thing about this plant is it has a reddish growth growing to the side of it.  I found out this plant is called Skunk Cabbage. Yes, it did smell like something was rotting back there.


No comments:

Post a Comment