Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Making Your Own Chicken/Duck Brooder

It's really easy!  The first thing you will need is something to put the chicks in.  I found an old container that I used to store things in.  You can use just about anything.  Cardboard boxes might not be a good idea though.  I used one of those last year because we had so many from moving.  They don't last long.  Namely because the bottom gets wet and you can't clean them out.

The next thing you will need is something to absorb the water.  I use newspaper to start with so the baby chicks only have their chick feed to eat.  A day later I add some pine, not the dust but the bedding type you get from the store. If you are only feeding them chick feed you won't need any grit.  If they are eating anything other than chick feed then you may need to add grit to help them digest the food.

The day before they arrived I filled their containers with food and water.  You can add a little sugar to the water because they may be thirsty when they arrive.  I bought my containers from my local farm store but you can get them at Mills Fleet Farm or online at Amazon.


I like these because they are easy to clean and I can stick them in the dishwasher as needed.

You will also need to have a heat lamp ready because chicks need lots of warmth.  I like to use one with a clamp just to be safe.  Last year I had one fall and it burned a piece of wood.  Luckily, I got to it before a fire started.  I also prefer the clamp because I can easily change positions of the lamp.  When the chicks first arrive they will need the lamp a little closer because they need more warmth.  As they get older, week by week, you can move the lamp farther away from them as they need less heat.  I also like to use the red lamps or the ceramic heating elements used in reptile aquariums.

A good thing to keep an eye on is how the chicks are behaving in the brooder.  If they are all on top of one another, trying to stay warm under the light you need to move the light a little closer.  They care cold!  If they are on the opposite end of the brooder trying to get away from the light they are too hot!  Move the light away a bit.  If they are scattered all over the brooder and not congested in one spot the temperature is just right.

Chickens like to roost, so the chickens would appreciate it if you add a piece of wood.  I used a small piece of firewood, but really anything should work.

For ducks you will need more water and you will need to change the water more frequently.  They are messy!  Last year I had ducks and I was constantly adding more water.  They drink a ton and if they get a chance they will splash around in it.  They need just enough to dunk their heads.  For a treat you can put them in the bathtub and let them swim around but don't leave them unattended.  They can get tired and need a way out.



And finally, you will need a cover to put over the brooder or leave them in an area that pets cannot get to.  My dog and cats are really curious!  But don't worry we are supervising and would never leave them alone together.  Last year, I made a cover using wood and chicken wire.  This year, I am keeping them in a separate room until they get a little bigger, then I will put a cover over them to keep them from flying out.

No comments:

Post a Comment