Search This Blog

Friday, March 17, 2017

Red Ranger Broilers

Here are a few pictures of our Red Ranger Broilers at 2.5 weeks old.  They have grown so much faster than our egg layers.

This is our first time with meat chickens so I can't compare them to the size of Cornish Cross Broilers.  Someone I know raised some Cornish Cross Broilers last year and had a few die (she didn't know that you have to take their food away at night so they don't eat themselves to death) so I thought I would try a slower growing bird that would be good for a free-range environment.  I notice that the red rangers do eat quite a bit too, so to be safe we have kept the food away at night too.  If anyone has experience with these types of chickens and whether or not they keep the food away at night please let me know.

We had them in the house for about a week before we moved them to the garage.  I think they like it a little better out here because they have more space.  Hopefully, if the weather cooperates, we can move them outside in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment