Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Baby Goats

This past summer we had a male goat that we had castrated.  Unfortunately, we didn't get him castrated soon enough because he got three of the females pregnant!  Because we knew the babies would be born during the winter months we kept an eye on them.

I figured based on the dates that they would be born in January.  Well, they were born in December!  One morning, I woke up early like I always do to let the dog out.  When I opened the door I heard wailing coming from the barn.  So we quick got dressed and went out there.  One of the females had twins!  The first one born was already cleaned off and dry, but the second one was like an icicle.  So we grabbed the baby and brought her inside to warm up and dry off.  Then we brought her back out to be with mom.  We ended up naming this goat, "Icicle".  After that first experience, I made extra trips during the night to make sure I could be there to help clean off the babies so they wouldn't freeze to death.  We were there when the two other goats had babies.  Here is a short little video we took of one of the goats having a baby.  Luckily, we were there because it was deathly cold outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment