Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2017

Banding Baby Goats

So, we have had goats for about a year and a half now.  We have had the vet take care of any castrating that needed to be done.  Well, about a week ago, I watched some youtube videos and read "how-to" articles about how to band goat kids.  I thought it seemed easy enough for me to do on my own so I went out and bought some castrating rings and a banding tool.  Yesterday, Keith held onto one of the boys as I tried to band the goat myself.  We realized that our one boy had only one testicle that had descended.  We are really hoping this other testicle descends soon or we may have to think about surgery.

This happened to another one of our goats, Willy, last year.  The vet said to wait to see if it descends, so we waited and waited and nothing happened.  I was really worried about him because our local vet said that ruminated animals such as goats do not do well under anesthesia   Luckily the surgery went well with no complications and Willy has fully recovered and is enjoying his goat life.

No comments:

Post a Comment